5 Benefits of Pine Nuts
1) Heart Health — Pine nuts are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, like oleic acid, which promote heart health. Oleic acid is responsible for lowering LDL "bad" cholesterol levels, improving antioxidant activity, and supporting cardiovascular function.
2) Appetite Suppressant — A paper presented in 2006 at the American Chemical Society discussed the impact of pinolenic acid on feelings of hunger. Researchers found that pinolenic acid stimulates the release of hormones that suppress hunger and provide a sense of fullness.
3) Improve Energy Levels — Similar to other varieties of nuts, pine nuts contain nutrients that increase energy levels naturally. They are a good source of protein and magnesium to power you through your day. Low magnesium levels have been associated with fatigue, so munching on pine nuts can help you achieve your daily intake goals for this energy-boosting nutrient.
4) Anti-Aging — Ward off premature aging with a handful of pine nuts a day. These little nuts are packed full of protective antioxidants that combat the damaging effects of free radicals.
5) Eye Health — Lutein is a type of carotenoid that protects eye health by blocking blue light from the sun to prevent damage to structures in the retina. The lutein found in pine nuts may help prevent age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the leading cause of blindness among older adults.